Total training time 10 hours
Step six is pretty strange….
In this video I show seven steps that I do before saddling. Each horse is an individual and this list should be added to or modified to best fit the horse. You will hear how I modified the saddle recently for a filly.
2) I introduce the bareback pad which also involves cinching up for the first time.
3) I use the Weaver Activity Ball to prepare Jac for the stirrups bouncing on his sides. I also teach Jac to stand still for saddling.
PLEASE NOTICE THAT JAC STANDS WILLINGLY BECAUSE HE UNDERSTANDS HE HAS A CHOICE
4) I ground tie Jac and rub the saddle on him
5) I saddle without the pad and without the girth from both sides
7) I saddle and tighten the girth
8) I move Jac on the lunge line saddled for the first time. Watch Jac’s body language. He is looking to me the whole time for guidance. He isn’t scared but he is experimenting with the saddle. He still responds to every request which is what keeps him safe.
9) I end by teaching him bending to stand with the halter…while saddled.